Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday's Theme


I love how God works. I say that all the time. But it's true.

Here is a picture of my journal from earlier today.



Tonight, after finishing my She Reads Truth www.shereadstruth.com devotional (which was about sight) I immediately turned to My Utmost for His Highest  Devotional by Oswald Chambers. Here is a little part of what I read: www.utmost.org

Acts 26:17-18
"I now send you, to open their eyes...that they may receive forgiveness of sins..."

"This verse is the greatest example of the true essence of the message of a disciple of Jesus Christ in all of the New Testament. God's first sovereign work of grace is summed up in the words, "that they may receive forgiveness of sins..." The only sign that a person is saved is that he has received something from Jesus Christ. When a person is born again, he knows that it is because he has received something as a gift from Almighty God and not because of his own decision. People may make vows and promises, and may be determined to follow through, but none of this is salvation. Salvation means that we are brought to the place where we are able to receive something from God on the authority of Jesus Christ, namely forgiveness of sins."-Oswald Chambers

I read the English Standard Version (ESV) Bible. I love it so much because it has notes that explain certain verses and it has been such a great resource for really digging in the Word and finding gems of truth. I am a word girl-I love to study words and meanings.

As I was flipping through my Bible, I opened to Acts 13:38-39 (which was highlighted and underlined-and it grabbed my attention so I read it) as I was making my way to Acts 26:17-18. This is what Acts 13:38-39 says:

"Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by Him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses."

Yes! It is for freedom that Christ set us free! (Galatians 5:1)

The ESV note provided this further description of the verses:

"The law cannot free a person from sin, not only because all people fail to keep it but also because it was never designed to bring out effective atonement (reconciliation) for sins; only the one who believes in Christ and His saving sacrifice is free from sin and acceptable to God."

I am acceptable to God. I am accepted. I am enough. I didn't have to get my act together first. I didn't have to wear a plastic smile. He just wanted me. A little 8 year old girl; with my little girl hurts and wounds. He found me acceptable and wanted me to know it's not about rules (the law) but rather relationship. He wanted my heart then and He still wants it now.  He wanted me to receive His forgiveness.  To receive means to take into one's possession something offered or delivered. 

Something was offered to me; to you. The forgiveness of sins was offered. He granted a pardon to me for my sins; in exchange I received life and life more abundantly. (John 10:10)

Consider Jesus. (Hebrews 3:1) When He went to the cross He considered us. It is a choice to receive the forgiveness of sins (it will not be forced) and have relationship with Him and to really see Him as Father, Redeemer and Friend. I am so thankful that at age 8 I asked Jesus to be my Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9,10) 

He truly is my Father. My Redeemer. My Friend. And as Beth Moore would say, "And you thought you loved Him then." Lord, thank you. I love you so much more.

Mark 10:51 NLT
"What do you want me to do for you? Jesus asked. "My rabbi," the blind man said, "I want to see!"








3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, thanks so much for sharing! I'm a word girl too! One of the best gifts I ever got was my Strong's concordance. The Bible is so much richer with the abundance behind the word we read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I don't have Strong's...yet! :) I have Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing other people's journals. Your words inspire me as I can feel your passion in your writing.

    ReplyDelete